Saturday, May 9

A series of unrelated failings....




I have not been brilliant at keeping my notes up to date.
I seem to have reached a slight brain overload with project/essay/technology/work.
A quick recap on the past few weeks.....

Post burlesque fest a lot of things went wrong with my Spring project, my plan B failed quickly followed by plan C. On the way to plan C my van broke down and I spent a long time on the side of the A303 trying to work out how get the petrol cap off the van which had seized up. Apparently forcing it off with a screwdriver is the only thing to do.... Note to self - make sure you print out the details of breakdown recovery or it's a nightmare trying to find the details 8 months later, and also make sure you have dinner before you leave home. Mini chedders and tea are not a great alternative.
Plan C was to work with local fishermen at my favourite seaside haunt in Beer on the south coast of Devon. It is a lovely little cove and one of the few places the fishermen still drag the boats back onto the beach by hand. After a sleepless night convincing myself the van was going to roll down the big hill I parked on - I woke up - too late and missed all the boats going out. Not a great start, I was not too happy - decided to try to stay positive and not feel too much of an idiot - there was always the next day. Happily worked on my essay a bit and waited for fishermen to come in. Fishermen came in and we chatted, found out they were not going out for a week as gale force winds. Hmmm....two weeks to go....
Retreated to another part of Devon and bumped into the man from the big house on the hill - plan A was back on.
Kind of.. access was on and off, so after tearing my hair out day after day I decided to broaden my idea. After reading a few books on local history I decided to go and chat to the people in the local village to see what memories they had of Blackborough House. I met Mildred, Sid and John who all shared their amazing stories with me and helped direct the rest of my project. Through conversations with them I learned a lot about the house and the history of the village and was able to create pictures from what they told me.
I'm not too sure if this was a success but it was a great learning process.

1 comment: