Tuesday, May 25

The portrait # 1

I have been pondering for some time about my own portraits and the wish to move in a new direction when using my lovely old Bronica. The Bronica was a gift from a very kind friend from who didn't need it anymore. The first time I picked it up I had a good feeling about it, it is sturdy, a little clunky and even though I have dropped it once, it still works like a dream. I have loaded film in muddy fields, in the rain and on the beach and still it produces wonderful images time and time again. Best of all they sit inside a very satisfying square frame like a dependable old friend - except for user error of course.

I now want to experiment within my square frame and will post work here soon. As inspiration for portraits I've been looking at many photographers over the past year and have found some truly beautiful images. I will post them on here as often as I find them and dig out the links to the ones I found a while ago. They are not necessarily photographers who use square format but are portraits that made me stop and sit for a minute to enjoy them.

My friend Julian Lass a journalist and photographer first drew my attention to Laura Pannack after he interviewed her for the BJP. Since then she has won numerous awards including World Press Photo 2010, 1st Prize in the single portrait category.

Here are two of her images.

from the series the untitled





No comments:

Post a Comment